Tenby’s RNLI Storm Barometer

Posted by Tenby Museum on Jul 6, 2018 Blog No Comments

The storm barometer on display at Tenby Museum is one of a series of two hundred distributed around the country by the RNLI between 1860 and 1900.  They were provided for the fishing and seafaring population.  No. 11 is the series was presented to Tenby in 1861 by Charles Allen, a local benefactor.  It was placed on the Harbourmaster’s Office in Castle Square where it remained until 1994.

The barometer was made by Negretti & Zambra, instrument makers to Queen Victoria.  These barometer were known as ‘Fitzroy’ barometers.  they were named after their designer Admiral Robert Fitzroy (1805 – 1865).  The Meteorological Office was established in 1854 as a service to mariners.  Fitzroy was appointed its first head and the term ‘weather forecast’ is attributed to him.

Fitzroy had also previously captained HMS Beagle when Charles Darwin made his famous voyage to South America and the Galapagos Islands in 1831.