#MuseumFromHome – Day 221

Posted by Tenby Museum on Nov 17, 2020 Blog No Comments

Day 221 of our #MuseumFromHome project and today we look at an old postcard of Tenby by H. Mortimer Allen showing the old Green Dragon pub and David Jones’ post-horse and carriage business in High Street.

In 1871 the Green Dragon public house occupied what is now Sea Salt (formerly Nat-West Bank premises). The landlord was John Lewis, aged 54, who had been born on Caldey Island. He was married to Mary, aged 53, originally from Abergavenny, and had two sons – Charles (born in Windsor) and John (born London). In 1881 the landlord was James Nicholas, aided by his wife Harriet. The pub closed in 1889 when the premises were taken over by Carl Hoffman’s clock and watchmaking business.

In the 1880s David Jones had a post-horse and carriage business in the corner premises of Church Street and High Street. The building was demolished and larger premises built and in 1891 was registered as a milliners owned by Anne Atkins.