#MuseumFromHome – Day 216

Posted by Tenby Museum on Nov 9, 2020 Blog No Comments

Day 216 of #MuseumFromHome and today, for Remembrance Sunday, we look at Tenby War Memorial.

After WWI communities, facing the enormous losses, began to acknowledge those lost lives by commissioning war memorials.

The Tenby Borough Council established the Tenby Memorial Committee. The Mayor was Chairman and the Borough Clerk was Secretary and some representatives from the public, including the Rector of St Mary’s Church and Chairman of the Discharged Servicemen’s Association, were co-opted. It was decided that a sum of £1500 was required to fund a suitable memorial, to be raised by public donation.

A variety of suggestions were proposed as an alternative for a memorial and these were debated at regular public meetings until June 1919 with no definite scheme being decided. There had also been a poor response to the fundraising with only £700 having been raised.

A further eighteen months passed and the fundraising campaign continued until sufficient money had been raised. After much debate it was eventually agreed to house a simple War memorial on the Trafalgar Gardens site.

Friends and relatives who had suffered losses were requested to contact the Town Clerk with details of inclusion on the Roll of Honour. In all there were 132 names placed on the Roll of Honour, just under 5% of the total adult population of the town.

On Saturday 24 September 1921, the Tenby War Memorial was unveiled and dedicated in the presence of one of the largest crowds or people gathered locally together. The names of those who died in WWII were added later. In 2016 it was found that the names of at least 20 people killed in action or who had died in active service during WWII had been omitted and these were added in 2018 for the centenary of the end of WWI. There are over 244 names on the monument.

The memorial, of grey limestone and white marble, was designed by J Howard Morgan of Carmarthen. It was granted Grade II listed status in 2002.