#MuseumFromHome – Day 214

Posted by Tenby Museum on Nov 6, 2020 Blog No Comments

Day 214 of our #MuseumFromHome project and today we look at Eric Bradforth’s Tenby Mural painting located in Tenby Market, illustrated here in a design painted by Eric.

The mural took 12 months to complete and was installed in 1993. It was commissioned by South Pembrokeshire District Council (now Pembrokeshire County Council) with funding support from the Welsh Tourist Board and Welsh Development Agency.

It depicts aspects of Tenby’s history, much of which is explored in themuseum’s interpretation and collections. Amongst the events and places the mural celebrates are:
• The visit of Horatio, Lord Nelson, Emma and Sir William Hamilton to the town in 1802
• The Tenby Observer newspaper, formed in 1853.
• Local born artist Gwen and Augustus John (born in Tenby in 1878).
• The Market Hall, which dates from 1829. The Town Hall situated above it was opened in 1860. The previous Town Hall had been in St George’s Street.
• St Julian’s Chapel – the original chapel stood on the end of the old pier and dated from 1539. The new premises wee opened in 1878.
• The Air Sea Rescue Unit and Marine Craft Detachment – No 48 Air Sea Rescue arrived in Tenby in October 1941, with their headquarters on the harbour. They left Tenby in 1947 to be replaced by B Flight 202 Squadron marine Craft Detachment, who stayed until 1985.
• Tenby Museum and Art Gallery – the oldest independent museum in wales – we opened in 1878 (a good year for Tenby as can be seen)