The Bath Chair form the museum’s collection recently underwent some conservation work and is now once again back on display as a centrepiece of the Story of Tenby Gallery.
The work was funded by the Friends of Tenby Museum and the work was undertaken by Hugh Haley of Phoenix Conservation in St Clears. Remedial work included treating woodworm in one of the wheels, restringing the seat on new leather straps from the ends of C-springs and giving the entire vehicle a treatment with Renaissance Wax. It now looks like a new machine and is obviously very pleased with itself.
The chair was dated by the Science Museum from the type of springing and general style of the body and wheels sometime between 1780 and 1840. This type of chair, devised by James Heath of Bath in around 1750, was extremely popular during Victorian times and would have been used often at seaside and spa resorts such as Tenby. The chair is used in conjunction with a Sedan Chair and Penny Farthing bicycle to illustrate various forms of Georgian and Victorian transportation.